Facebook Messenger has an excellent encryption option. Unfortunately, it is turned off by default. To make your conversations private, you need to enable encryption.
If you want to start a new encrypted conversation:
- Tap the new conversation icon at the top right.
- Tap “Secret” in the top right.
- Choose your recipient and begin messaging.
If you want to turn an ongoing conversation into an encrypted Secret Conversation:
- Open the message thread.
- Tap their name at the top of your screen.
- Tap “Secret Conversation” to switch it over.
If you don’t see those options, it could mean the recipient doesn’t have the current version of Facebook Messenger. The recipient will need to update their app for Secret Conversations to work.