If you are using WhatsApp, you really need to read Rob Nightingale’s article in the MakeUseOf web site.
Nightingale points out that WhatsApp‘s 1.2 billion users send tens of billions of messages to each other EVERY DAY. Obviously, that’s huge. Viber only has 800 million users. Yet Nightingale says that Viber is the better app in almost every way but WhatsApp got a head start and became popular before Viber could get started.
- Are free to download.
- Provide end-to-end encryption.
- Work over 3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi.
- Work on Android, iOS, and Windows smartphones.
- Have Windows and Mac desktop apps.
- Offer instant messaging.
- Offer voice and video calls to other users.
- Allow you to send photos, audio, and video clips.
- Offer private group chats.
- Work with Google Now and Siri.
However, Viber offers voice calls to normal, old-fashioned telephone and cell phones around the world, something not possible with WhatsApp. Nightingale also points out other advantages of Viber at: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reasons-ditch-whatsapp-viber/.