Encipher.it is an amazing service. It secures your email messages and other data so that none of the bad guys can read it, it protects your work or personal files from identity thieves, it allows you to share confidential information easily with friends or co-workers, and it is available free of charge. What is there to dislike about Encipher.it?
Encipher.it offers several methods of use. In its easiest-to-use form, simply type your text into the Encipher.it web site (or copy-and-paste the text), click on ENCIPHER IT, enter an encryption password of your choosing, and your text is instantly converted into what looks like mumbo-jumbo. Here is a snippet from a message I just created:
Decrypt it at https://encipher.it
Then you can copy-and-paste that mumbo-jumbo into an email message and send it to anyone of your choosing. You also need to tell the person the encryption password you used. (Don’t send the encryption password in unsecured email!)
The recipient has a couple of different ways to decrypt the message although the Encipher.it doesn’t have the clearest possible instructions for that. Decryption can be performed manually although it is easier if you are using the Chrome web browser and have the Encipher.it Chrome Extension installed. You can encrypt and decrypt messages directly in Gmail.com, Outlook.com, Yahoo mail or other sites with the Google Chrome extension. Another method is to download the Encipher.it desktop app (available only for Windows and Linux) and use that. There is another method for anyone using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
The Encipher.it web site states:
- To decrypt the email with Encipher It, you can do one of the following:
- paste the ciphertext in the online or desktop version of the app and press the “Decipher it” button
- open the encrypted email you received and press the “Encipher it” button of the bookmarklet or the Chrome extension (but using the desktop software is more secure)
- enter the encryption password you’ve been told or sent beforehand and press the “Decipher it” button
- enjoy the fruits of your secret communication.
It much safer to download and install a desktop client, because it only requires you to trust the Encipher.it internet site once (when you download the software), whereas you trust the online version each time you visit the site.
You can learn more at: https://encipher.it/.