I haven’t had a chance to try Status just yet. However, if the product lives up to its specifications, this could become the only text messaging app you would ever want to use:
- Fully encrypted end-to-end
- No central server; all text messages travel directly from the originanting cell phone to the receiving cell phone with no temporary stops on any server in between
- No telephone numbers! Spies, hackers, credit card thieves, business competitors, and others will not be able to identify you by seeing your phone number (in the same way that many other text messaging systems operate).
- Not owned or operated by any corporation. This text messaging app was created by and is supported by multiple software developers around the world, all operating independently. No government can force this app to add “back doors” or other high-risk security holes that will reveal information to government surveillance spies or to hackers and thieves.
- Open source software: the programmers that are creating Status invite you and everyone else to examine the program’s source code to look for any possible security problems. If you do find any, please provide the details to the Status programmers so they can resolve the problem immediately!
- Contains both a highly secure crypto wallet and an equally secure Web3 browser
- Contains a highly secure selection of decentralized finance (DeFi) apps
- FREE Of charge
Status should be much more secure and safer to use than WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Telegram, Google Messages, SnapChat, Viber, or any other similar text messaging app.
You can read more in an article by Stephen Graves in the Decrypt web site at https://decrypt.co/25629/status-wants-to-be-the-worlds-most-private-instant-messaging-app as well as in the YouTube video above and also available at https://youtu.be/6RYO8KCY6YE. You can also download and install the FREE Status app from the Apple app store and from the Google Play store.
Please keep in mind that Status is in its early stages. It should be interesting to watch this app as it develops!